Los Angeles, CA
May 29, 2011
Show #15 of the 21 Nite Stand. Yeah, right.
A very great long show. Prince definitely working hard. Supposedly the last one of the run. Many memorable and unique moments. Check out Purple Rain. Lots of guitar. Lots of Maceo. One or two more great encores could have maybe brought the show up to the level of 4/14, but alas it didn't happen. Still a fine ending to a great run of shows.
If you think something's odd about the first couple minutes of the long intro of The Love We Make, you are right. The band took the stage immediately after the opening act and I wasn't back in my seat yet. The first two minutes got recorded as I made my way from the back of the arena to my seat in Loge 6. Don't worry, all was good well before the song really kicked in and Prince started singing.
This one goes out the greatest guy ever. Within five minutes of the start of the show, the guy sitting next to me notices I am taping. He types me a note on his phone telling me that is cool and he would not yell and clap. A real stand up guy. Worst people ever? The security at these shows. Practically assaulting people over taking worthless crappy pictures on cel phones. Very late in the show, a burly security guy was sprinting towards me, pawing his way through paying customers who were just trying to enjoy the show. I was sure I was busted. He passes me by and practically assaults a very calm woman who had just snapped a picture. I genuinely thought she had a gun or something. He stands there for 10 minutes barking at her. Making her scroll through pictures on her phone and loudly ordering he to delete all the pix she had taken at the show. Thank God. World now safe..
Disc 1 (52:20)
01. The Love We Make
03. Everyday People
04. Take Me With U
05. Raspberry Beret (longer version)
07. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (w/ long Maceo intro)
09. Let's Work (w/ long Prince and Ida bass intro)
10. You Got The Look
11. No One Else (Amel Larrieux cover sung by the ladies)
12. Renata Interlude
13. The Beautiful Ones
Disc 2 (69:53)
01. Let's go Crazy (w/ very long guitar intro)
02. Delirious / Let's Go Crazy (reprise)
03. She's Always in My Hair
04. Future Soul Song (w/ King)
05. Purple Rain
07. Little Red Corvette
Prince at the sampler . . .
08. When Doves Cry / Nasty Girl / The Most Beautiful Girl In The World / Screams of Passion / Alphabet Street / Hot Thing / Darling Nikki / Black Sweat / I Would Die 4 U
Disc 3 (68:38)
01. The Bird
02. Jungle Love
03. A Love Bizarre w/ Nikka Costa
05. If Eye Was Ur Girlfriend
09. crowd (crowd does the wave)
10. Pass The Peas (Maceo and the band)